There are things that put you at risk for getting cardiovascular disease that you can't change. But, there are many things that put you at risk that you CAN change! See below for information and resources to help you make changes to lower your risk of getting cardiovascular disease.
Risk factors you can't change:
- Gender: Men's risk of heart disease rises earlier than women's risk, but women have equal risk after menopause.
- Family history: If other people in your family have had a heart attack or heart disease, you are more likely to have one yourself.
- Age: Your risk goes up as you get older.
Risk factors you can change:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Unhealthy Weight
- Not Getting Enough Physical Activity
- Tobacco use and smoke exposure
Resources to help you reduce your risk factors:
High Blood Pressure
Not Getting Enough Physical Activity
Tobacco Use and Smoke Exposure
Top of page